Monday, November 26, 2012

Christmas Canvas

So I decided for every holiday I'm going to have something up on the shelf in the kitchen...and it's usually going to be canvas.  I did "Eat, drink, and be scary" for Halloween then a simple Happy Thanksgiving frame for thanksgiving.

For Christmas I chose this...


something about those 7 words makes me want to sing, so I thought it would be PERFECT.

I got the idea for the quote from pinterest, I saw this pin which is from House of Smith Designs.  I put my own spin on it of course.

I painted a 12x12 canvas silver with the Martha Stewart Acrylic paints, she calls it Sterling.  As you can see laying newspaper down does minimal protection from the paint I fling all over the place...there's a spot next to my coffee cup that looks small in this picture but it was not :)

It took three coats.  In between coats the family and I went to Michaels to see what kinda craft stuff we could get.  I knew I wanted some kinda snowflakes on there.  I started with some smaller paper ones, then found bigger felt ones, then we got to the Christmas side of the store.  I found these ornaments...

I painted the ornaments white, cut the letters out on white card stock with my cricut mini, and began mod podging.  I pretty much made a pool of mod podge where the snowflakes were going to make sure they stayed on...

It took a long, long time to dry.  Then I did another coat, and again caked it on.  I didn't want these snowflakes falling off...ever. 

And there it is, in it's spot...I got those two push up dancing toys from the dollar section at Michael's except the reindeer had a pink bottom (which seemed wrong/weird) so I painted it white. 

11 comments:

  1. It looks cute! And you're right it makes me want to sing the words in the tune...Like I don't even get it until it's said in song. haha I wanna hear you sing it!! And I agree, the bottom should not have been pink. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! yeah right! I sing it in my head...not out loud!

      Delete
  2. How cute! I love the addition of the snowflakes! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! I love the silver and white great color choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project! I might try this myself this year if I have some extra time! I saw you over at Delightful order and I am your latest follower. I hope you stop by and check out my blog too! www.mendezmanor.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. how cute! I'm singing the song as I'm reading the canvas :)

    Thanks for linking up to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete